Saturday, October 15, 2005

Starting a Sticker Chart for Good/Bad Behavior

Well, the time has come to start a chart. I guess I realized something new needed to be incorporated into our daily routine when his first day at the new semester of Story Time was a ...ummm ....disaster. Really, he did laps around the room, avoiding me and my "be quiet" requests and then he kicked the teacher during the monkey/alligator song when the alligator goes SNAP. It was crazy for both of us.

I think it's normal for a 3 year old to be somewhat oblivious to his mother at times but, for his own safety when we are out, Ayden needs to start listening a little better so Dad & I came up with this chart....


There are 4 columns: Clean Up, Eat, Listen, Out and the Out column is divided into when we are outside, out at the store or out at storytime/playgroup.

The concept of the chart is to reward Ayden's good behavior with stickers and many words of praise and to work towards a weekly goal of being good and then we celebrate on Sunday when he gets to pick a prize out of the Prize Bag! This is also a great opportunity to learn the days of the week.

To address the negative behaviors of not listening and running off, we were just giving him some Time-Outs but now along with the Time-Out, he'll also get an X on his sticker chart so he can SEE his bad behavior.

Ayden is responding SO WELL to the chart! I've seen a major improvement at Story Time and overall listening. He is eating better which means he is playing less with his food - he's always eaten good, but when he was done eating, he would start massaging the food onto his face or throw it on the floor. Sometimes I would let it go, I mean, I DO KNOW how good yogurt can feel on your cheeks! But it is time to be a little less rude at the table as far as throwing food at your mum. grrrr...

Other things I did to help our outings to the library & Story Time were to talk with him right before we go in and I have him sit on my lap as we sit on the floor. Yes all the other moms are in their chairs as I am on the floor with my little guy but that's what works for us. We just went yesterday and his teacher commented on how great he is doing. Sigh of relief! Although during the monkey/alligator song, she did look "prepared" to block any 3yr old kung fu kicks - just in case.

We also dropped out of a few other things because we really need more time at home and a much more relaxed schedule.

This gives us more time for independent play like making homemade play dough with flour, salt and water. Just mix the 3 together until it feels like clay.

In this picture we added turmeric for a nice yellow color! Next time I think we will try to make green with kelp or spirulina!

No comments:

 

Desenvolvido por EMPORIUM DIGITAL